Tuesday, 10 November 2015

Shop In York

I've been meaning to write a guide to shopping in York for ages. As part of my internship in my hometown, I've been writing a lot of guides to Cambridge, Newmarket and Bury St Edmunds and although I will be using these to inspire some future local posts, I wanted to switch to a different part of the country to write something entirely new. York is sometimes overlooked as a shopping destination, as it is so close to the much larger and more commercial Leeds, but it really has some fantastic gems:

where-to-shop-york


where-to-eat-york
shopping-in-york
























I love the Zatchels store on The Shambles and was lucky enough to attend its opening last year. It's a lovely little store, full of their gorgeous satchels and well worth a visit. They often have some brilliant instore promotions as well as lots of limited edition satchels and backpacks. The Shambles is always worth a visit as it is packed full of fascinating and unique shops - and it looks like Diagon Alley!

York Does Vintage regularly visits the city, bringing a huge array of vintage clothing, accessories and homeware. It's always a great event, offering new and exciting items each season and the next fair is on the 29th November - check out all the future dates here. I always find something at these fairs and I love rifling through the racks to find that perfect vintage gem. Bowler Vintage (formerly known as Purple Haze, if you're an oldie like me) is one of the permanent vintage shops in York and full of both vintage and replica clothing. You can browse their replica clothing online but you need to head into store on Fossgate to browse their vintage goodies.

If you want brands, Monks Cross is the place to go. It's full of loads of high street brands, from New Look to River Island, as well as lots of places to stop for coffee.There is a huge M&S Simply Food hall as well as Rodgers of York for all your furniture dreams. There's even a Thomas Holiday Superstore with thousands of holidays under one roof, if you want to get out of York for a weekend!

The Imaginarium is worth visiting just for the experience. The shop is full of all kinds of curiosities and is full of Victorian style treasures. It's full of Pinterest-worthy decorations, props and prints; for example, I absolutely love the glass potion bottles. It's part of the Yorkshire Soap Company, so it also smells gorgeous! Unfortunately, you can't take any photos inside so you'll have to go take a look for yourself... Opposite, you will find one of my favourite discoveries in York. For me, a day out shopping is as much about the food as the clothes and I can never spend the day in York without a trip to Mannion and Co. The deli board is a wonder and it's the first place I recommend to anyone visiting the city. If you want to read more, check out my review of the sausage roll and deli board.

I love finishing a day of shopping with something to drink from Evil Eye Lounge. The famous bar is known for its strong and unusual cocktails, as well as its interior including double beds on the second floor. Traditionally rumoured as 'Johnny Depp's favourite bar in England,' it's trendy enough for this statement to hold the ring of truth. Certainly, if Depp has ever tried any of these cocktails, he would be a fan - the huge list is sure to have something for everyone. Evil Eye are also less well known for their excellent hot chocolates, so if you don't fancy a cocktail, I love finishing off a day of shopping with a Candy Swamp, a hot chocolate full of actual Malteasers and Minstrels as well as marshmallows and cream - perfect for these Wintry days!

York is a brilliant shopping destination which, as I've mentioned, I feel is often overlooked. The independent shops are simply fantastic, there are always interesting pop-up fairs and markets and the city is full of hidden foodie gems. Where would you recommend in York?


*This post was written in collaboration with Rodgers of York*

Jess
Bloglovin Twitter . Instagram -

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...