Revolucion de Cuba is an off-shoot of Revolution Bars, and I'd had a taster of their style before as the second floor of the York Revolution is Cuban-themed with a huge rum menu. However, I love the idea of giving the Cuban theme a bar of their own and the previous bar Baracoa has been transformed into a gigantic, bright and spacious venue - it feels about twice the size!
On entry, we were split into three groups and asked to rotate round three 'stations,' each with a different activity and focus. I thought this was a great idea as I got to experience the knowledge, cocktails and food in an intimate way and really get a feel for the bar. First, we headed off to a rum masterclass, where our bartender took us through everything you might need to know about rum. I'm not a huge rum drinker so it was interesting to learn more about the spirit, as well as try some expensive rums. My favourite was the 8 Crillo Cacau, which has a totally unique biscuity-chocolate taste, unlike any rum I've ever tried.
We then moved on to make our own mojitos and I was really impressed with how easy it is to make mojitos. We simply muddled some mint, squeezed in lime, added ice and some rum. Then I mixed in the mint some more and topped up with soda. The result was really tasty with just a few ingredients, but I definitely wasn't a natural behind the bar! Although the process for a mojito is simple, I was so slow at muddling the mint, adding ice and topping up with soda - it certainly gave me serious respect for the skilled bartenders!
Finally, we got to try some of the delicious food on offer at Revolucion de Cuba. I used to eat at Revolution fairly regularly as a student, as it's great value for decent food, so I knew the food would be good quality. However, tapas is a tricky thing to get right in chains I find so I was seriously impressed with the dishes. I particularly loved the chunks of roasted chorizo covered in a wine and honey glaze; the sweet overtone balanced perfectly with the rich meaty spice of chorizo. I also thought the aubergine quesadillas were not only a great vegetarian option but a great dish in their own right. From Monday to Thursday, three tapas dishes are just £13 which I think is great value for a meal, especially when accompanied by a couple of delicious cocktails.
I was seriously impressed with the enthusiasm and passion of the staff and I think Revolucion de Cuba is going to be a great addition to Call Lane for Leeds. It's fun, great value and with plenty of room for big gatherings. Have you tried it yet?
Jess
No comments:
Post a Comment