Monday, 14 October 2013

DIY: Sequin Heart Shoe Clips

In one week's time, I will be 21 years old. It's a scary thought, which is starting to hit home when I look at all my current bio descriptions which I will soon need to update - the downside of including your age on your profiles! However, the exciting part of this milestone is the birthday party I have planned this weekend. I am a massive fan of fancy dress, as you may have now realised, and my favourite part is creating an effective costume on a very low budget. Therefore I wanted to share with you a few of my DIYs for my costume before you see the finished look. Perhaps they can offer some clues on my theme and character!


Today I made some simple heart-shaped shoe clips and I was surprised at how easy and effective they were. If you want to make some too, you will need:
Red felt (eBay)
Red sequins (eBay)
2 hair grips
Pen
Scissors
Fabric scissors (if possible)
Hot glue gun and glue sticks

























I have linked the two eBay sellers where I bought my felt and sequins from because they were cheap and arrived quickly, meaning that I didn't need to brave the cold to make a trip to my local craft store (I'm that lazy!)

1. Print a template (I used a simply drawn heart shape on Word) and trace around it onto the felt:

























2. Cut the shapes out of the felt using fabric scissors, if you have a pair. If not, normal scissors are fine:

























3. Heat up your glue gun and start to glue the sequins from the outside into the centre of the heart:

























4. When complete, cut the sequin strand and do the same with the other heart (can you tell which one I did first?)

























5. Glue a hair grip onto the back of the heart, ensuring that it is the right way up! I clipped mine onto peep toe heels so I glued the hair grips with the opening at the top. They therefore slide from my toes up towards my ankles, which is far more comfortable.


























And you are finished! I found the clips very cheap and easy to make and I feel that they add an extra touch to my outfit, clipped onto my Barratts shoes. I love the Melissa Vivienne Westwood vibe that they channel, without the price tag or need to buy a new pair of heels. I think that they are a really cute accessory that can be used in many different ways and for many different occasions; I have also seen them used as hair clips or on wedding shoes - adorable! How would you style yours?

What do you think of the DIY? Will you be giving them a go? Let me know how you get on!

<3
xx

2 comments:

  1. These are so cute! Such a lovely way to add a personal touch to a pair of shoes :)
    Hope your birthday party is amazing, happy birthday for next week!

    Jess xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...